Welcome to Alaska's largest planetarium
Help us Reach for the Stars
- Juneau's planetarium is part of the Juneau School District and has been run by volunteers for over 20 years. Our presentations and events reflect the interest and knowledge of our volunteers.
- We offer free astronomy education for the public, school classes and community groups.
The planetarium is a unique community resource
The planetarium projector allows us to model the sky even when the weather is miserable! We show 'The Stars Tonight' at almost all presentations at the planetarium showing how Juneau's night sky would look if it were clear. Click here to learn more about our starball.
The planetarium has been run by volunteers with knowledge of and enthusiasm about astronomy. This is reflected in the planetarium's diverse offerings (click to learn more).
The board of the Friends of the Marie Drake Planetarium is delighted and grateful to have been awarded a Tier 1 $25,000 grant towards a new planetarium system.
Planetarium Location - 1415 Glacier Avenue
Friends of the Marie Drake Planetarium (FOMDP)
The Friends of the Marie Drake Planetarium
a 501(c)(3) was formed in 2014 to support the planetarium and
astronomy education in Juneau. We are fundraising for a new digital projector which will cost &70,000.
Upcoming Free Shows
Upcoming Free Shows
- Presenter: Rosemary Walling
The Planetarium will be closed from May 28 to mid August for maintenance in the Marie Drake Building.. Don't panic. We will have some events at other locations during this closure.
- We need someone to do publicity.
- We need volunteer to do children's programming.
- We need volunteer to do hands on programming e.g. hands on astronomy demonstration or astronomy art project.
- We need fundraising assistance
- Grant writing
- Organizing a fundraising event. We will be having a fundraising meeting soon.
- ideas for planetarium shows and events
- constructive suggestions for improvement
- want to volunteer or make a donation
- fundraising and grant suggestions
- want to request a free astronomy presentation for your school group or community group. We will try to find a volunteer at a mutually agreeable time. Please let us know topic, number of attendees and ages/grades of attendees.
- Clark Branch, 723-8044 (Treasurer)
- Dave Hanson,
- Rosemary Walling, 723-0692
- Steve Kocsis, 500-2941(Secretary)
- Cristina Della Rosa, 500-2942 (President)